For the last couple years the tech industry has looked forward to an annual two day event put on by Google at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California. The event is called Google I/O Developers Conference and this is where Google showcases what is has been up. Google I/O 2011 as expected focused heavily on Android. The open source operating system with Google as it’s overseer has risen to great heights since it revealed it’s clunky head not that long ago and is reported to have been activated on 100 million devices worldwide with 400,000 new activations every day. Mix that in with over 200,000 applications available and almost 5 billion app downloads to date and you have a heavyweight of a platform that is open and free that rivals the closed system from Apple and it’s iOS devices.
The Google I/O Developers Conference has come and gone and I have put together a short bulleted list of some of the major announcements of the conference.
- The next major release of Android will be called “Ice Cream Sandwich” and promises a UI revamp and advanced app framework.
- Android will now have a movie rental feature.
- Google Music beta was demoed and is an invitation only music management service in the cloud.
- Android @ Home and Project Tungsten – soon everything in your home could be android powered, from your lights to your microwave.
- Android Open Accessory allows developers to make accessories that communicates and interfaces with android devices
- Android 3.1 is now available and a over the air update is on its way to Honeycomb powered tablets starting with the Motorola Xoom
- Update on the Google +1 button for publishers
- New or updates APIs for Google Books, Maps and Places
- New Eclipse tools for Android Developers
- Advanced peer-to-peer NFC functionality coming to next version of Android
- Google Chrome web browser now has over 160 millions users
- Chrome store upgrades such as in-app payments
- Chrome OS update and demos
- Revelation of two notebooks powered by Chrome OS by Acer and Samsung
- Special Chromebook pricing for schools and businesses
Lots more info, news and details at the Google I/O conference website - google.com/events/io/2011/
Like the post above? Check out the following related posts:
Latest posts by Kelroy (see all)
- Samsung Electronics Launches Samsung GALAXY Apps - August 4, 2014
- OUR Requests Additional Information from Digicel and LIME in VoIP Matter - July 18, 2014
- Digicel to Acquire Jamaica’s Telstar Cable - July 17, 2014